Today we are going to go over your homework sheet together. I will answer any questions you have and we will work through any tough problems together. Our goal is to start to understand the usage of commas; we most likely will not have commas completely mastered, and that is ok. We are just trying to understand them in a broad sense.
After your homework corrections, today will be a free D.E.A.R. or writing day: yay!
If you are absent today, please finish your homework from Tuesday and read or write.
Homework tonight is to read 30 minutes.
Tuesday, March 13th
Today we are going to continue our mini-lesson on commas.
Yesterday we learned three instances where we use commas:
- To separate items in a series:
- Tim wanted rice, chicken, and broccoli for dinner.
- Dear Tom, Your friend,
- Nervously, Tim turned around.
- Running and chewing at the same time, Samuel began to choke on his burrito.
- To separate a direct address:
- Thank you, Tim.
- You are welcome, Sally.
- Mr. Jenkins, our families doctor, is a patient man.
Have a postivie Tuesday!